Sunday, July 19, 2009

CHUA JUI MING


Jui Meng joins PKR, may sit in supreme council

By CHEW WAN YING

PETALING JAYA: Former MCA vice-president Datuk Chua Jui Meng has quit the party to join PKR.

He said his earlier decision to resign as chairman of MCA Bakri division, a position he held for 23 years, freed him to undertake a fresh struggle for reforms.

During the press conference, Chua said he had never denied that he would join PKR.

“I was wrongly quoted. I never denied or confirmed. I only told them that you will know when the time is right. There’s a season of timing for everything in life,” he added.

Asked if he had tendered his resignation letter, Chua said, “I will be doing it. I’ve already announced my resignation just now. The other thing is the formality to send a letter,” he announced at the Sunway Resort Hotel & Spa yesterday, where Opposition Leader Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim was present to welcome him. Chua joined PKR along with former Lumut MP Datuk Dr Yap Yit Thong and former Senator Datuk David Yeoh Eng Hock.

Anwar told a press conference that Chua would be invited to join PKR’s supreme council.

Chua denied that his decision was prompted by his loss to MCA president Datuk Seri Ong Tee Keat during the MCA presidential election last year.

“I can win and I can lose. It’s the same to me. When I lost in 2008, I invited my opponent, Tee Keat, to come to my division twice. I tell the Chinese community that even if we contest for the same position, if we contest on principles, then we can maintain our friendship.”

Asked whether he will meet with Ong to hand in his resignation, he said, “He’s my friend. He’s a man that stands for ideals and principles. And I respect him for that and I think he respects me as well. So our relationship will continue as friends.”

No comments: